Sunday 22 December 2013

When My Mother Tucked Me In

Oh, the quaint and curious carving
On the posts of that old bed !
There were long - beacked,
queer old griffins
Wearing crowns upon their head;
And they fiercly looked down on me
With a cold, sardonic, grin;
I was not afraid of griffins
When my mother tucked me in.


What cared I for dismal shadows
Shifting up and down the floor,
Or the bleak and gruesome wind gusts
Beating against the close-shut door,
Or the rattling of the windows,
All the outside noise and din?
I was safe and warm and happy
When my mother tucked me in.

Sweet and soft her gentle fingers,
As they touched my sunburn face
Sweet to me the wafted odor
That enwrapped her dainty lace.
Then a part or two at parting,
And a good night kiss between
All my troubles were forgotten
When my mother tucked me in.

Now the stricken years have borne me
Far away from love & home;

Ah ! No mother leans above me
In the nights that go and come.
But it gives me peace and comfort 
When my heart is sore within,
Just to lie right still and dreaming
Think my mother tucked me in....

O the gentle, gentle breathing 
To her dear heart's softer beat
And the quiet, quiet moving
Of her soft-shod, willing feet !
And Time one boon I ask thee
Whatsoever may be my sin,
When I'm dying let me see her
As she used to tuck me in...
~Betty Garland~



                                                         With Love Jasmina
                                                   And A little something from Bocelli 
                                                     to comfort my deep longing for Home 
                                                 somewhere by the Beautiful Mediterranean sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment